Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Heat Waves" for SAQA: evolution in action

A while ago (yikes...where did the summer go?) I posted about the piece I was making for the SAQA auction.  The auction is right around the starts on September 12th.

Like so many things I start, I thought I was all set.

I'd fuse a square from my UFO pile onto a piece of dupioni silk. The silk would bring some texture and shine to the piece. A little free motion quilting would finish it off and the piece would be done!

The project was practically finished before I began.  


But the best laid plans....
 Once I put the two pieces together, I wasn't satisfied.  Everything looked too static, too blah.

What did it need?  Maybe a little shine, a little *bling.*

So I went diving into my small stash of  lame (shades of frowning French professors -- this needs an accent on the "e" -- but my blogging skills aren't that refined).

I cut some strips and extended them beyond the square to bring extra movement and that extra bling.  


 I thought that helped.

But now the light green top and bottom edges of the square weren't "weighty" enough to anchor the square on its silk background.

Better, but I still wanted more weight

So back to the design board to add some strips of dark blue velvet...

Okay...let's make the strips a little thicker.

I also wondered if it might be fun to extend the patterned fabric into the background.

No go on this idea...the extra pattern distracted from the main square and the flow of the lame.  

So maybe I needed a little more lame...something that would help integrate those two large strips of lame with the rest of the design.   So once more, back to the lame stash for two more pieces of the shiny stuff. 

This did the trick for me (plus the deadline was rapidly approaching).

A little hand-guided machine stitching, some blue metallic thread around the large pieces of lame, and here's the finished piece.
In the midst of the blistering summer heat, the title seemed to be a natural:  Heat Waves (you can find it on page 3b of SAQA auction site).
A side note:   I thought it might be apropos to include the word "evolution" in the title of this post.  Here's why:  the project that was "practically finished before I began" - a 10.5 X 12 inch piece - took on a life of its own.  Between cogitating and experimenting, 2 1/2 months passed between start and finish (and this doesn't count the time I spent on the little UFO square!).  All I can say is that I'm glad quilting efforts aren't measured in geologic time.  
Looking forward to the cool breezes of Fall



  1. I love the final result, Debbie! It was very interesting to hear your thought process as you worked on this.

  2. Thanks was fun to try to document some of the the twists and turns throughout the process.